Article citationsMore >>

Gorham, J. and Christophel, D.M., “Students' Perceptio of Teacher Behaviors As Motivating and Demotivating Factors in College Classes,” Communication Quarterly. Vol. 40. No. 3. 239-252. Summer 1992.

has been cited by the following article:


Effects of Sexual Dysfunction on Female Teachers Performance

1Department of Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Sciences, University of Lampung, Indonesia

2Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lampung, Indonesia

American Journal of Public Health Research. 2014, Vol. 2 No. 6, 244-247
DOI: 10.12691/ajphr-2-6-5
Copyright © 2014 Science and Education Publishing

Cite this paper:
M. Kanedi, Sutyarso. Effects of Sexual Dysfunction on Female Teachers Performance. American Journal of Public Health Research. 2014; 2(6):244-247. doi: 10.12691/ajphr-2-6-5.

Correspondence to: M.  Kanedi, Department of Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Sciences, University of Lampung, Indonesia. Email:


This research is aimed to find out whether sexual dysfunction affects female teachers performance in fulfilling pedagogical tasks. Eighty-four female teachers who work at 12 elementary schools in the city of Bandar Lampung, Lampung Province, Indonesia became the participants in this study. To assess the teacher’s sexual quality, we used the Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI), a brief questionnaire designed to measure sexual functioning in women with focus on sexual desire, sexual arousal, lubrication, orgasm, satisfaction, and pain. To measure the quality of a teacher, two pupils were asked to become respondents and fill out a Likert Scale questionnaire containing both positive and negative quality indicators of the teacher. The positive indicators consist of punctual, prepared, approachable, respectful and professional, while the negative ones include bad tempered, rude, insulting, arrogant and domineering. Mann-Whitney comparison test and Spearman Rank Correlation were performed in data analysis. The results showed that 39 (46%) of the participant categorized as teachers without sexual disorder (total FSFI score of 29.1±1.33) and the other 45 (54%) categorized as teachers with sexual disorders (total FSFI score of 21.48 ± 2.84). Compared with the teacher without sexual dysfunction, teachers with sexual disorders tend to be less diligent (P <0.05), less prepared for class (P <0.001), less friendly (P <0.001) and less appreciative students (P <0.01). In addition, teachers with sexual problems tend to be more hothead (P< 0.001), rude (P<0.001) and domineering (P<0.01). As the conclusion, sexual dysfunction potentially affects teaching performance of the female teachers.