Article citationsMore >>

Farmer P (1997). Social scientists and the new tuberculosis. Soc Sci Med. 44, 347-358.

has been cited by the following article:

Article

Treatment Adherence among Tuberculosis and Human Immuno Deficiency Virus Coinfected Patients in Ginnir Referral Hospital

1Department of Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Science, Madawalabu University, Bale Goba


American Journal of Public Health Research. 2014, Vol. 2 No. 6, 239-243
DOI: 10.12691/ajphr-2-6-4
Copyright © 2014 Science and Education Publishing

Cite this paper:
Ahmed Yasin Mohammed, Muhammedawel Kaso Adem. Treatment Adherence among Tuberculosis and Human Immuno Deficiency Virus Coinfected Patients in Ginnir Referral Hospital. American Journal of Public Health Research. 2014; 2(6):239-243. doi: 10.12691/ajphr-2-6-4.

Correspondence to: Ahmed  Yasin Mohammed, Department of Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Science, Madawalabu University, Bale Goba. Email: ahmedyassinmoha@yahoo.com

Abstract

Tuberculosis is a major public health problem in Ethiopia, and a high number of TB patients are co-infected with HIV. There is a need for more knowledge about factors influencing treatment adherence in co-infected patients on concomitant treatment. The objective of this study is to assess treatment adherence among TB/HIV co infected patients in Ginnir referral hospital from March - April 2013. Institution based cross sectional study design was used to collect, analyze and summarize data from TB/HIV co-infected patients. The data was sorted manually and scientific calculator was used to compile and express in table and graphs. Descriptive statistics like frequencies, mean and median were used to analyze the data. Prior to data collection, permission request was obtained from Madawalabu University, Goba campus and it was submitted to Ginnir referral hospital’s medical director. Respondents were told about the objective of this study, reassured for confidentiality and asked for consent. The results shown among the 53 TB/HIV co- infected patients, 11(20.7%) had missed taking both ARV and anti TB drugs at least once. Of these, 4 (36.4%) had missed the ARV treatment while remaining 7(63.6%) of them missed the anti TB medication. The result showed that, the main reason for missing the drugs was forgetting taking medication 6(54.6%). It can be concluded that the level of non adherence is relatively high and the main reason behind was forgetting distance from health institution and income related problems. Intervention s to reduce it need to be instituted such as adherence educations should have to be given for the patients to take the treatment by the recommended schedule and also family members and supporters should have to be told to remind and follow them carefully. On the other hand bringing the health service nearby might alleviate the problem of distance. In order to deal with the income related problems, Ginnir referral hospital should have to work in collaboration with NGOs and other fund raising institutions.

Keywords