Article citationsMore >>

Central Statistics Agency of Ethiopia (CSA)., “The population projection for July 2011Magazine (1)”, CSA, Addis Ababa, 2017.

has been cited by the following article:

Article

The Role of Rural Livelihood Diversification Strategies for Household Food Security in Southern Ethiopia: Empirical Evidence from Kecha Bira District of Kembata Tembaro Zone

1Department of Economics, Hawassa University

2Department of economics, Dilla University


Journal of Finance and Economics. 2020, Vol. 8 No. 3, 142-151
DOI: 10.12691/jfe-8-3-7
Copyright © 2020 Science and Education Publishing

Cite this paper:
Berhanu Getinet, Tariku Lorato. The Role of Rural Livelihood Diversification Strategies for Household Food Security in Southern Ethiopia: Empirical Evidence from Kecha Bira District of Kembata Tembaro Zone. Journal of Finance and Economics. 2020; 8(3):142-151. doi: 10.12691/jfe-8-3-7.

Correspondence to: Berhanu  Getinet, Department of Economics, Hawassa University. Email: getbre@gmail.com

Abstract

Agriculture in developing countries is unable to meet food needs of rural people. Thus, rural households engage in to different livelihood diversification activities to ensure their food needs and secure their future livelihoods. The study investigated the role of livelihood diversification strategies for rural household food security in Kembata Tembaro Zone, Southern Ethiopia with empirical evidence from Kecha Birra district with data collected from a sample of 355 households selected by multistage sampling technique. The descriptive statistics were used to identify the livelihood strategies in the study area. The finding of the study indicated that majority of the rural households (41.6%) engaged into on-farm activity. However, 22.54%, 21.41% and 14.37% practice on-farm plus off- farm; on-farm plus non-farm; and on-farm plus off-farm plus non-farm livelihood diversification activities respectively. Household food insecurity access scale (HFIAS) was used to measure food security status of households. The study result showed that 51.27% households were food insecure and the rest 48.73% were food secured. Logistic regression model was used to assess the role of livelihood diversification strategies to rural household food security. The results of the model indicated livelihood diversification strategies, Income obtained from diversification activities, Education status of the households, Total farm land size of households, Total livestock unit owned and Training and extension service are positively and significantly related to rural household food security status and improves food security status of rural households. It confirmed that livelihood diversification strategies have a positive effect and would be the best solution to reduce poverty and improve food security at household level in rural areas. Therefore, due attention should be given to strengthen livelihood diversification strategies so as to improve rural household food security.

Keywords