American Journal of Numerical Analysis is a peer-reviewed, open access journal that publishes original research articles and review articles in all areas of numerical analysis. Numerical Analysis is called the Mathematics of Scientific Computing. More specifically, Numerical Analysis involves the study, development and analysis of methods for obtaining approximate solutions to mathematical problems. This definition does pinpoint some of the key issues in Numerical Analysis, namely, approximate solution, mathematical problems, the study, development and analysis of methods. The methods invariably are destined for use on high-speed computers and therefore three major sources of error (discretization error, approximation error, rounding error) are present in the study of numerical methods. Underlying all these sources is the general question of the stability of the solution of the problem to be solved and of the discrete ill-posedness of the problem.
Subject areas include, but are not limited to the following fields:
- Approximating functions
- Computer arithmetic, parallel algorithms, numerical software
- Methods of numerical optimization
- Numerical differentiation and integration
- Numerical methods of differential and integral equations
- Numerical solution of linear and nonlinear equations and eigenvalue problems