American Journal of Medical Case Reports
ISSN (Print): 2374-2151 ISSN (Online): 2374-216X Website: http://www.sciepub.com/journal/ajmcr Editor-in-chief: Samy, I. McFarlane
Open Access
Journal Browser
Go
American Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2015, 3(7), 198-200
DOI: 10.12691/ajmcr-3-7-4
Open AccessCase Report

Keyhole Craniotomy for Excision of Tumors and Clipping of Aneurysm in Children: An Analysis of Eight Procedures

Ali MahadMusallamAl-Mashani1, Neeraj Salhotra1, Azmat Ali1 and Rashid M Khan2,

1Department of Neurosurgery, Khoula Hospital, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

2Department of Anesthesia & ICU, Khoula Hospital, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Pub. Date: June 08, 2015

Cite this paper:
Ali MahadMusallamAl-Mashani, Neeraj Salhotra, Azmat Ali and Rashid M Khan. Keyhole Craniotomy for Excision of Tumors and Clipping of Aneurysm in Children: An Analysis of Eight Procedures. American Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2015; 3(7):198-200. doi: 10.12691/ajmcr-3-7-4

Abstract

With improvement in surgical techniques and introduction of new micro-instruments, keyhole craniotomies are gaining favor in neurosurgery. We evaluated the technical and procedural aspects of the supraorbital keyhole approach for eight pediatric patients undergoing excision of tumor and clipping of aneurysm between 2012-2015. The mean age and weight of the patients were 10.0 ± 3.92 yr and 23.97 ± 11.20 Kg respectively. Surgery was performed from the right side in all patients. The mean length of the incision in our series was 2.79 cm ± 0.09. Maximum tumor diameter was 50 mm. Gross total resection of the tumor was done in 4 (57.14%) and near total in the remaining 3 patients (42.85%). 2 patients (25%) experienced CSF rhinorrhea and other two patients (25%) suffered transitory diabetes insipidus (8%). There was no mortality in our case series. Out of 8 patients, 6 were followed up to 12 months. Recurrence of tumor was encountered only in 1 (14.28%) patient. We observed that the supraorbital keyhole craniotomy is a useful minimally invasive approach to treat selected anterior fossa tumors and aneurysm of the intracranial vessels.

Keywords:
supraorbital keyhole craniotomy minicraniotomy pediatric neurosurgery

Creative CommonsThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

References:

[1]  Qing, Z., Liqun, Y., Liang, X., Chao, S., Rujun, L. and Qing, L. Craniopharyngioma removal via supraorbital keyhole approach. Austin J Neurosurg 2014; 1: 1007.
 
[2]  Mori, K. Keyhole concept in cerebral aneurysm clipping and tumor removal by the supraciliary lateral supraorbital approach. Asian J Neurosurg 2014; 9: 14-20.
 
[3]  dePaiva-Neto, M.A. and de Tella-Jr, O.I. Supra-orbital keyhole removal of anterior fossa and parasellarmeningiomas. ArqNeuropsiquiatr 2010; 68: 418-423.
 
[4]  Wiedemayer, H., Sandalcioglu, I.E., Wiedemayer, H. andStolke, D. The supraorbital keyhole approach via an eyebrow approach for resection of tumors around sella and the anterior skull base. Minim InvasNeurosurg 2004; 47: 221-225.
 
[5]  Ramos-Zuniga, R., Velazquez, H., Barajas, M.A., Lopez, R., Sanchez, E. andTrejos, S. Transsupraobital approach to supratentorial aneurysms. Neurosurgery 2002; 51: 125-130.
 
[6]  Steiger, H.J., Schmid-Elasaesser, R., Stummer, W. andUhle, E. Transorbital keyhole approach to anterior communicating artery aneurysms. Neurosurgery 2001; 48: 347-351.
 
[7]  Dlouhy, B.J., Michael, P.,Chae, M.P. andTeo, C. The supraorbital eyebrow approach in children: clinical outcomes, cosmetic results, and complications. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 2014; 15: 12-19.
 
[8]  Bognar, L., Czirjak, S. and Madarassy, G. Frontolateral keyhole craniotomy through a superciliary skin incision in children. Child's Nervous System 2003; 19: 765-768.
 
[9]  Czirjak, S. andSzeifert GT. The role of the superciliary approach in the surgical management of intracranial neoplasms. Neurol Res 2006; 28: 131-137.
 
[10]  Reisch, R. and Perneczky, A. Ten-year experience with the supraorbital subfrontal approach through an eyebrow skin incision. Neurosurgery 2005; 57: 242-255.
 
[11]  Figueiredo, E.G., Deshmukh, V., Nakaji, P., et al. An anatomical evaluation of the mini-supraorbital approach and comparison with standard craniotomies. Neurosurgery 2006; 59: ONS212-20.
 
[12]  El Shafei, H.I. Anterolateral Mini Fronto-orbito-zygomatic craniotomy via an eyebrow incision in pediatrics: Technical notes and evaluation. PediatrNeurosurg 2011; 47: 248-253.